Thursday, November 11, 2010

Jamie's Italy Part 1



This is the first post written by JP Troy. I wanted to post a few memories and pictures from my great trip to the Bagpipe Italian Group Gathering held this year in Urbania, Italy. I was extremely fortunate to be invited to this event, and I had no idea what to expect when Duilio Vigliotti, the organizer, contacted me to be a part of it. I also had no idea that there was such an enthusiastic and passionate community thriving in Italy for the bagpipes and Scottish music.
When I first touched down in Italy, I was greeted by Duilio and Gino Schioppa, both very fine pipers and excellent tour guides. I was treated to an unbelievable lunch in Rome, and then a whirlwind tour of the major sights. After that, we made our way to Isernia, where both Duilio and Gino live. I was honoured to be a guest at Duilio and his wife Rita's home. I felt very welcome and their hospitality will be remembered forever. A few hours after getting settled, Gino and I managed to get in a few games of pool in the downtown of Isernia.
After a good night's sleep, Duilio was kind enough to take me on a tour of Isernia, stopping in at a chocolatier and a winery. We then made our way up to Urbania, where the Gathering was to take place.


Please stay tuned for Part 2 and for some exciting developments in the shop.
All the best,
JP

No comments: