Monday, July 20, 2009

One of the best things about Portland, Oregon is the music scene. There is always something going on, a band to check out, a 'fest' of some sort or live music at the bar down the street...and tons of record shops as well as the one of the greatest places to shop for something new (or old) to add to your music library: Everyday Music.
I used to have a roommate when, every time we went to the grocery store, he would 'choke' as he put it. Basically, he panicked since there was so much to choose from...you had a list in your head before you walked through the door but with those long aisles bursting with goodness, you can't think straight. That is exactly how I feel walking into a music shop...I need to spend hours and hours in there flipping through all of the titles because I know there is something I'm forgetting I wanted to hear.....and there is something SO good waiting for me in amongst those jewel cases.
I fought through that panic a couple of nights ago and came across recordings of Ustad Zakir Hussain. This man is a wicked Tabla player as well as a film actor, musical producer and soundtrack composer. He was considered a child prodigy and was touring by the age of twelve.
Check out his concert dates....and go!
These Tabla players are true masters of their art. They study for years and learn to sing everything before they even get to touch a Tabla drum (imagine that!). Their playing abilities are always well presented and very impressive...add the vocables into the mix and guaranteed, you'll gain a new found respect for Indian music.

-JLT

1 comment:

tonyrashid said...

I saw Zakir perform with Mickey Hart among others several years back. It was absolutely mind-blowing.