Monday, March 2, 2009

Marianas Trench

No, I do not mean the deepest location of the Earth's crust...
My good, dear friend Ian Casselman is the drummer for the Vancouver based band, Marianas Trench. They have just released a new CD called Masterpiece Theatre and it's worth giving a listen to. You can hear the record in it's entirety here for the rest of this week. It's streaming audio and there are some clips from their recent appearance on MuchMusic's On Demand.  If you miss it there, it can be downloaded from iTunes along with their other album, Fix Me.
Ian Casselman used to be a snare drummer with the Abbotsford Police in his teenage years. He was the bass drummer for the same band when I was in the snare line...he also played bass for SFU for a season (2001 I believe) then went on to pursue his rockstar-dom. He played a huge role in my drumming career  - focussing my attention on technique, feel/groove and probably is the only person ever to get a group of people to march along to Toto's Rosanna. I love him dearly and we are still good friends to this day.
For more information on Marianas Trench, visit their website. They could be coming to a town near you!
-JLT

1 comment:

Iain MacDonald said...

Excellent tip! I had heard of the band [knew the name] and I had the great pleasure of getting to know Ian at a summer school the year he played bass for SFU. I love the band's new video [thank you, YouTube] and will be listening to more of their music. Very energetic, in-your-face, and fun. Well done to Ian and the band.